I’ve mentioned before that the Adoption Matching Process is like riding a roller coaster. This second time around that is certainly proving to be true. We have been presented with three birth mother situations so far. The first was in FL and she chose someone else two weeks ago.
In the second situation, I found the Coaster got more intense. Birth mother was located in NV and has TWINS on the way by c-section on October 15. We thought long and hard before agreeing to be presented in that one but felt that God was asking us to trust Him and move ahead. The ramifications if chosen were immense. We have been waiting for days to find out if we were going to be bringing home two newborns in less than two months. I’ve been jumping at every email that has come in, wondering if it’s our case worker letting us know birth mom chose someone else. This morning I received a call from our case worker. Time stood still for a few seconds as I saw who was calling, thinking that perhaps we had been chosen. However, I quickly learned that the situation is on hold as birth mother has not returned to view the profile books. It could come back online if she chooses to return. Phew! What a ride!
We’re now considering being presented to a birth mother in our own town in CO. That would be a very different situation than Jonathan’s but it could be really fun to be able to visit in person more often. It would certainly make the first few weeks more convenient as we transition to a family of four.
My emotions over the last few weeks have been all over the place. The twins situation really rocked my world. The thought of having twins in two months both terrified and excited me. It was a good reality check that there will most likely be a newborn (or two) joining our family in a fairly short amount of time. Mostly, the ride of the last week made me realize how much I desire to continue to grow our family and how dependent I am on God and others to do so.
Each adoption/birth mother situation is a different cost. We currently have saved the amount of money we paid three years ago for Jonathan’s adoption. However, we are seeing with these three situations that we’re still about $15-$20K short of the amount we will need. We can take out an adoption loan but would love to avoid as much debt as possible. We are SO thankful for the many people who have already contributed toward our adoption. It has been tremendously helpful! If you feel so led, you can donate at the link below or by sending us a check in the mail. Let me know if you need our address.
We are incredibly thankful for all of the emotional and relational support of our community. Thanks for being on this Roller Coaster of Matching with us. Here we go! “Throw your hands up!”
If you want to help support our adoption: Ben + Liz Adoption #2 GoFundMe Page